Last Week: 3-1
In 2000, I was a sophomore in college and may or may not have had a couple of online sports betting accounts.
That year, I went 11-0 in the Playoffs and turned a $100 playoff parlay bet into almost $15,000.
For the upstanding citizens of our society who have never gambled, allow me to explain what I did, (because I still remember it in detail).
When the playoff matches were set, I bet the following scenario:
- Miami over Indianapolis
- Baltimore over Denver
- New Orleans over St. Louis
- Philadelphia over Tampa Bay
- Oakland over Miami
- Baltimore over Tennessee
- Minnesota over New Orleans
- New York over Philadelphia
- Baltimore over Oakland
- New York over Minnesota
- Baltimore over New York
The year 2000 would be the last year I would ever place a bet because I quickly blew my winnings on the NBA Playoffs, the following year.
It would also be the last year I was ever over .500 on picking football games in the Playoffs.
So here we go!
Jacksonville at New England
Last week, I said Blake Bortles should just “Be you BB!” I’m going to keep jumping in. On his own merit, he appears to be quite an atrocious quarterback incapable of completing a basic swing pass. With a heavy dose of irrational confidence, he appears to be quite competent.
Still though, I’m growing tired of the Jags faux-swagger especially on the defensive side, so I’m taking the Pats and I’m taking the points.
Not the most well-reasoned football analysis but it’s gotten me this far.
Pick: New England -9.5
Minnesota at Philadelphia
My son was napping on my lap when Stefon Diggs ran in for the game-winning touchdown. I could not believe what I was seeing and yet because of my sleeping son, I couldn’t audibly erupt.
Instead, I just hit rewind about 40 times and watched every single piece of that play.
- My gosh I feel bad for that Marcus Williams kid.
- My gosh that was some bad tackling.
- Why was there not a Minnesota player just standing on the goal line on both sidelines? Minnesota had to go sideline or endzone with no timeouts.
- Case Keenum threw a VERY good ball.
- Did you know that Case Keenum still holds the record for passing yards in the NCAA?
- How mad would Houston Texan fans be if we did not have Deshaun Watson and Case Keenum makes it to the Super Bowl?
- I loved how the referee in the end zone threw an excessive celebration flag.
- I loved how Diggs threw his football helmet like a baseball player throws his batting helmet.
- That moment is enough to give a team enough juice to get to the Super Bowl.
Pick: Minnesota -4.5